Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bated Breath

According to World Wide Words: "bated breath" refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe

I cannot wait for Winter. We are experiencing our first cold snap of the season (lows in the 50's and highs in the low 80's), and I can't help but think of all the things I get to do in Florida in the Winter. Here is a condensed list-- in no particular order:

  • Take my kids to the park
  • Use our fire pit and fireplace
  • Get more use out of our Busch Gardens passes
  • Open my curtains and blinds (during the summer, to combat the cost of running our a/c constantly, our house resembles a cave)
  • Drive with the sunroof down
  • Wear long sleeves and boots
  • Use the swing set in our backyard
  • Buy scented candles that can be described using words like "spiced", "toasty", and "burnt"
  • Go for a run anytime of the day
  • See the manatees in the Bay
  • Go camping
  • Buy a wetsuit and do some more scuba diving
I realize that Florida is the opposite of most other states and that some of you probably look forward to Summer for some of these same reasons. To each his own--

I love Florida winters!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

We opened the sliding glass doors across the back today and now I feel as though we should light a fire. All I can say is Florida winters trump the Czech Republic's!

Wrights said...

I have no words to express just how jealous I am. The thought of being cooped up in the house for 4+ months is so depressing. And I have to ask myself again and again...WHY DO I LIVE IN UT?? (And the answer is...I married a boy from Springville)

Natalie said...

That does sound pretty awesome. Don't you just love Scott Westerfeld? If you haven't read the Midnighters series you should.

Jen said...

Your post has a distinctly British accent...