Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crafty

Dictionary.com defines the word "CRAFTY" as skillful in underhand or evil schemes; cunning; deceitful

You will soon agree that this particular definition is far more appropriate for me than the archaic definition of "skillful, dexterous". deceitful; sly.

My friends tease me for being obsessed with the toy room in my house. There is good reason for my obsession: the room is right in the middle of my home-- with no doors to hide or obscure one's view of our ever-growing toy collection. I am always looking for ways to make the room seem like an "on-purpose" toy room, rather than an empty space that just happened to get filled with STUFF.
Over the past few weeks, I have taken on some projects in that room. I am not sure what came over me-- I found myself wandering the aisles of Joann's using words like "batting", "vinyl", and "yard". (In all honesty, I really only bought a glue gun... but its a major step for me).

Project #1- Art Display Board
I saw this in a Home Goods Store and thought it would be a perfect way to de-clutter my fridge of the kids' ever-expanding art collection.
It was an easy project that would be unsightly anywhere but in a kids' room-- where it seems to fit in just fine.

Project#2- Window Valance
This was a swing and a miss-- big time. I got cocky after the moderate success of the art display board and my ego caught up with me.
The window is once again bare.

Project #3- Bookshelves
I wanted to put some books in the room, but with a (almost) one year-old and a (almost) two year-old frequenting the room, I needed something other than a traditional book case. I saw this idea online and LOVED it. Rain gutter bookshelves. I mentioned it to Lance and 10 minutes later... VOILA! He screwed a rain gutter to our wall.
Zoie and Tobin keep their library books in there. It is too high for the "babies" to reach, and requires no order or organization.
The transformation of our dining room into a toy room is one of the best ideas we have ever had (Lance and I). It sees more use than any other room in the house and forces my kids to play and read-- rather than watch tv.

My most recent project was yesterday in Chase's room--
Transforming this--

Into this-Four full boxes of baby clothes that my giant baby has outgrown
And an organized closet

(In taking the after pictures, I woke Chase up from his morning nap, which led to this):

4 comments:

*Emily Anne Dowdle* said...

Ur play room looks really cute and fun!!!:D
:D
em:D

Jen said...

I absolutely LOVE your kids' room! Mine is just a lame knock-off of yours. The pictures don't do the bookshelves justice. They are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Kir!! Wow! You're going to give "crafty" a whole new meaning. You could get a job designing other peoples play rooms! It's easy to see you love it.

Ellen said...

Love the rain gutter book shelf! You are a genius!