Friday, September 3, 2010

Kindergartener

Zoie started kindergarten last week. It has taken a while to post these pictures (Its a long story... but at the root of the issue was the blasted dollar store!).

All summer Zoie was so excited about starting kindergarten. A few weeks ago, we went to register her at her new school, and Zoie became very nervous and apprehensive. She kept insisting that she would be scared and shy and therefore, all the kids would "think she was a brat".

Zoie tends to be emotional and a bit dramatic, so this fear of kindergarten took over every waking thought of hers. She even told me that she had bad dreams about school. I was starting to get nervous myself-- wondering if this would be a very difficult transition for her.

Enter Grandma Ellen.

My Mom took Zoie school shopping. Even though Zoie wears uniforms to school, my genius Mom managed to find the cutest shirts and dresses, shoes (sparkly, of course) and crazy socks. Zoie also scored a pink Hello Kitty backpack and some kind of weird, sparkly, unicorn "lunch purse".

Zoie was no longer nervous at all and couldn't wait to get to class. That is when I re-discovered a universal truth: Whenever females are faced with a scary situation, peace and comfort inevitably lie in shopping and new stuff! (I am sure that there is a more eloquent way to phrase that).

Zoie has loved school every single day (all ten of them now). Her school is large and I am still impressed with her ability to navigate the grounds herself. She hasn't wanted or needed my help since the first day-- (which was tearless for both of us!)

I am so proud of her (and am enjoying a little peace and quiet until 2:30 each day-- and by peace and quiet, I mean only taking care of 2-3 little boys during the day!)

2 comments:

Heidi Lyn said...

So cute! I'm glad she (like the two generations before her) finds solace in the aisles of a store.

Ellen said...

Finding comfort in shopping is an eternal truth. Zoie was a doll that day, and we had lots of fun.