Friday, May 14, 2010

Absence Makes the Heart Grow... Hungry

I am a foodie. I love food-- I especially love really, super unhealthy food. Despite this obsession (or perhaps as a result of this obsession), I have pretty much been on a diet since November 15th, 2009. Low carb, low fat, low calorie, blah blah blah.

At the beginning of April, Lance and I began a new way of eating. It is not so much a diet as a "lifestyle change"-- healthy eating (a little fruit, lots of protein and vegetables, only "good" carbohydrates, etc.) We are being pretty strict on it for about 90 days-- after that we may allow the occasional pizza to slip into the diet, the occasional splurge on date night.

At the top of my splurge list:

Isn't she beautiful? The Monte Cristo from Bennigan's. A ham and cheese sandwich, battered, deep-fried, sprinkled in powdered sugar and then dipped in jam. Don't judge me-- everyone has that special food that makes their heart palpitate and mouth salivate. (Can you tell that today is a difficult day for me diet-wise?)

8 comments:

Heidi Lyn said...

But you're always so good at staying on your diets. Mom tried your diet for one day and then the next day made chocolate muffins and chocolate chip cookies. It was a disaster for all of us trying to lose weight. Keep up the good work and YES the Monte Cristo is worth a good splurge. Perhaps when Aunt Heidi comes back to play????

Danielle Harris said...

I have never tried that sandwich and I don't think I ever will because is sounds addicting. I have to abstain from donuts. If I eat one I think I have to have them all the time. Last week I ate 3 donuts, yes 3 in one sitting and have been wanting more ever since. Sigh...

Ellen said...

I didn't even make it through the day, Heidi.

Sarah said...

I know it is hard, but you look fantastic! I am trying the no carb thing and it is awful. All I can think about is bread, pasta, bread, cake, bread...sigh. Perhaps if I hit my first goal I will join you in a Monte Cristo cheat.

Laura & Eliza said...

Nate told me the other day that he's never met someone that eats worse than me...i wasnt sure how to take that!

wildthayn said...

You're so right!! That sandwich is delicious!! We call it the "ham donut". I haven't had one in years though; its just too addictive. Keep it up though -you really do look great!! (and you must feel great too:))

johanson family said...

siiiiick. when we were in chicago, some of the girls i was with insisted on that sandwich... your tastebuds have failed you...

Headless Steve said...

I don't think "foodie" means what you think it means.