Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Priceless

Garanimals Pink Flowered T-shirt: $2.50
Garanimals Brown Skirt: $3.50
Pink Shoes: $7.50
Zoie feeling like a Princess on her first day of Preschool: Priceless

(I just love having kids small enough that I can supply them with all new [cute] school clothes for $25. Say what you will about the "evil, monopolizing conglomeration" that is Wal-mart. I love it.)

Today Zoie started preschool. She has been ready for this day for over a year now. She showed up in my bedroom before 7 am this morning-- completely clothed and hair done.

When I dropped her off in her classroom, she was so happy and excited to be around kids her age. She kept waving at me and yelling, "Bye Mom! Love you!" before I was even ready to leave.

Zoie will do well in school. She is very bright and a fast learner. She is friendly and social. She is funny and creative. She is extremely obedient. She loves social situations and has never had any trouble leaving me or Lance in order to play with others.

I know all of this. I have looked forward to the start of her preschool year because I know that she will thrive. So, I cannot justify the odd, wet substance emitting from my eyes when I turned to leave my daughter with a bunch of strangers.

I am not a cryer. I am not even terribly sentimental. I cut my kids' hair often without a second of wistfulness and I do not save a lock of said hair. I counted the days until they could go into the church nursery, then promptly shoved them through the door without a look back. Giving away the baby clothes that they outgrow does not make me sad. I am actually very happy to get rid of them.

So-- I did not anticipate the sudden outburst of emotion at the preschool this morning (and by outburst, I mean I wiped my eyes, ducked my head and got out of there). I am blaming this solely and squarely on the pregnancy hormones.

Here are a few more pictures from our "First Day of School" photo shoot. I kept trying to get Zoie to just smile like normal, but she informed me that she likes to pose. It is scary how much she gleans from my behavior. (The apple she is holding is her first "homework" assignment-- she has had it done for weeks). Enjoy!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Adorable! And you are absolutely right- she will thrive in a preschool. She is a fun, smart, well-mannered girl.

As far as your weeping...didn't I recently get a text from you because you were crying while watching Newsies? Indeed you ARE a bit if a cryer, Kira!

Ellen said...

I bawled like a baby when I dropped you off at preschool for the first time; then I drove to the tennis court and played for the rest of the day. It was awesome. Zoie looks adorable.

Danielle Harris said...

Is it sad that my favorite part of her outfit is the socks/shoes combo? I love it. I'm glad she had a good transition into PreK...even if you didn't :) By the way, good job on saving money during the years she doesn't care where the clothes came from. Save it up for later!

Heidi Lyn said...

Zoie is such a cute girl! She looks gorgeous and will do fabulously at school.

I don't know why you try to pretend that you are all big and bad with no deep, hidden emotions. They are there. . . deal with it.

Wendy said...

Cute! Lisa is excited to start preschool on Monday and I'm not quite sure what emotions to expect out of myself.

I hear you with the pregnancy hormones -they make you cry for inexplicable reasons!