Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tampa Baseball

Lance and I don't like baseball as a spectator sport. In fact, we hate it. I would rather watch just about ANY sport on tv. But I would really love to see the Tampa Bay Rays win the World Series.


No-- I am not a fair weather fan. I am not watching the games. I do not sport a Rays t-shirt. There are no stickers covering the bumpers of our cars. But I really love Tampa-- and there is such a feeling of community when one of "our" teams is in the play-offs.

Five years ago, Tampa had NO clout or credibility as a "Sports Town", with no championships in its history. The Tampa Bay Bucs changed all of that in 2003 with a big win at the Superbowl. The Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) carried it on by winning the Stanley Cup the following year.

To the Tampa Bay Rays-- I will not be watching you play tonight and any other games that may ensue. I think your particular sport is unbelievably dull. However, I would like to say this: You have made me, as a Tampa resident, swell with pride in the last few weeks. Keep it up. It is your turn.

2 comments:

Heidi Lyn said...

It's interesting you write this because I too abhor baseball and might actually rather watch a UFC match than a baseball game . . .
BUT I have no feelings about Tampa not continuing in the world series and I think it's weird. You would think I'd jump on the bandwagon even a little, but no. I'm sorry Rays fans, but their loss just means that the awful sport ends a little sooner and that is fine by me.

Jen said...

Wow! Who knew you could insult a team and give them your best wishes at the same time?!