Saturday, November 1, 2008

**Before you read the following post, brace yourselves for the unexpected. Perhaps it would be best to have a seat-- so as to avoid injury when your knees give out on you out of complete and utter shock.

I have given up my beloved Diet Coke. It is over-- this crazy, delicious love affair. It has been two weeks since I have had any carbonation.


WHY?
I know that I was addicted and an addiction is almost always a bad thing. I have heard that there are health benefits associated with a lifestyle of no soda. At this point, I am living on pure faith that these benefits exist.

CURRENT THOUGHTS
I am constantly thirsty and water is not cutting it. I will never be one of those people who say things like, "Oh! I don't care for soda" or "I love water!" I will be the one who orders water at a restaurant while tears roll down my cheeks.

I have seen absolutely NO health benefits, thus far. I don't feel better or look better. In fact, just a tiny bit of joy is gone from my life. But as I said, I am living on pure faith that these benefits do exist. I will persevere.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Kira I am so sad for you. I will drink my next diet coke and think if you while I do it. Guess the 36 pack of Diet Coke I was planning on getting you for Christmas isn't going to be the great gift I thought it was, hu?

Hang in there!! I know I don't have the willpower.

Jen said...

I don't mean to make a mockery of your commitment to banish diet coke from your life but I know you too well. This cannot possibly last.

Filetti Family said...

Kira, I love you and all but seriously have NO faith in you. Yeah that's right, I don't believe you can quit drinking soda FOREVER! I think this is a phase. You will have your beloved soda back again shorty. To make things interesting, lets do a bet because we love competition and wager how long you will last. What do you say? You are SO going to loose. LOL :)

Heidi Lyn said...

Um, I agree that this won't last, but can appreciate the drama in thinking it's forever. I am writing a paper on developmental defects associated with caffeine, so maybe my findings will help you in your quest for a diet coke free life!

Ellen said...

Well, I won't join the naysayers. I have seen too many times in your life when you have made a decision and with dogged determination, you stuck to it---no matter how ridiculous. Good for you, Kira! May AGUA never let you down. The Czech word for water is VODA. Here's an interesting side note: the word VODKA literally translated means "little water". If that's your way of taking the water approach, maybe you should stick with Diet Coke. Loves, Mom

Nieldfam said...

I am so sorry, I know life without Diet Coke is similar to a life without happiness! Stay Strong, and I will have one for you!! Some days I have to admit it is my LIFELINE!!