Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Good Wife's Guide



I saw this article from Housekeeping Monthly in 1955 on a friend's blog-- The Good Wife's Guide. I don't know how my grandmothers put up with some of this stuff. For example:

  • Remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
  • Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night.
  • Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment... You have no right to question him.
  • Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.-- (I really wouldn't mind doing this, but Lance would HATE it!)
I love living in the 21st century where women are considered equals. However, I actually agree with some of the "tips" in the article.
  • Have dinner ready. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal is part of a warm welcome needed.
  • Prepare yourself. Touch up your makeup...and be fresh-looking. I really do agree with this, in theory. I really like doing my hair and makeup in the morning, but by the time I see Lance at the end of the day....
  • Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.
  • Be happy to see him.
  • Don't greet him with complaints or problems.
  • Greet him with a warm smile.
  • Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.
Am I old-fashioned? I feel so lucky (most days, anyway) to be able to spend my days at home with my kids while Lance is working on various job sites in the hot Florida sun. Why not make my home the kind of place he can't wait to come home to? And what kind of husband wants to come to a messy house and a cranky, homely wife and kids?

I would love to have Lance come home to a clean house, dinner on the table, and a smiling, happy, attractive gaggle of adoring family members. Something to shoot for...

2 comments:

Ellen said...

My goal was always to have one chair that was not sticky for Dad to sit in at dinnertime. One unsticky chair was a good goal. I think he appreciated that. Being a stay at home mom is the best! Anyone who gets to stay home with the kids in this day and age is very, very blessed.

Darci said...

I completely agree with what you said. I don't think that it's old fashion at all.