Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pinewood Derby

Every year our ward sponsors a Pinewood Derby-- not just for the scouts, but for everyone in the ward. Lance and I look forward to the "derby" each year. The weeks leading up to the big race find our home filled with sawdust and power tools and paint-- and Lance and I, all business, with our game faces on.

You would think with such a competitive spirit and drive, we would be fierce competitors every year. Sadly, this is untrue. In the past two years, I have yet to win a race. Lance did slightly better than I last year. We tend to focus on style and originality. Last year, I made my car into a shoe-- a lavender sling back wedge. Cute shoes-- slow car.

This year, my goal was to win a race-- just one. In the past, I have been the ONLY woman to compete.


Lance blew everyone away with his realistic rendition of the Batmobile. He easily won the award for Best Workmanship. And it was pretty fast too. He made it all the way into the final few races.

(really bad picture)

I created a skateboard and was the runner-up for Most Original. I lost my first race, but won my next two! VICTORY, at last! This year there were several woman competing, including my sister Heidi who had Lance make her a silver 1987 Alfa Romeo (to her specifications).



With the sweet taste of victory (albeit a small, sweet taste), we are already thinking of next year's big race. Any advice is welcome.


After the ward activity, we took the kids to a birthday party where Zoie and Tobin had their first cotton candy experience (and heartily approved).

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Lance missed his calling in life. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I think it has something to do with automobile design.

I love my grandchildren. Keep posting the pictures! They are precious.

Liz's Blog said...

Hey kira! I'm sure Crista has told you but me and jacob come into town tonight. We will be home for 15 days...we should get together and let the kids play! Give me a call at my parents house.

LAURA and ELIZA said...

Kira! I can't believe your kids are wearing shorts! I'm so jealous! I'm ready to move back to FL, let me tell ya! I'm coming at the end of this month though, we should get together. LOVE YA!