Saturday, May 11, 2013

This Lady...

I have had my mom and my mother-in-law on my mind a lot this week.  I count these women as two of my greatest blessings.  Here is a little bit about Lori Rasmussen.

Lori is amazing at all things domestic.  She cooks like a southern lady (which is, by far, the best way to cook!)  She sews and quilts and cans stuff.  She does things that I don't understand-- like "soaks beans" (?)  She makes perfect pies from scratch.

Lori is artistic.  She ran a successful, thriving framing company out of her home for over twenty years.  She was always encouraging her kids to be creative and artistic-- surprising them with new color pencils or a sketchpad.  Because of her encouragement, several of her children are EXTREMELY talented artists.

Lori has always selflessly devoted her time to her family and to humanitarian work.  She volunteers to work with mentally handicapped youth every single week

She may be petite, but Lori is far from a docile, quiet homemaker.  She is tough and strong and I'm pretty sure that she has perfected the "evil eye".  She raised 5 crazy rambunctious kids (well, 4 crazy rambunctious + Kristy). 

Lori is extremely unpretentious and non-judgmental.  This is my very favorite thing about her.  She has never, ever, ever made me feel bad about my lack of domestic skills (and I have NONE).  It seems that all of her strengths are my weaknesses and I don't know how that doesn't drive her crazy.  I could not have asked for a more amazing mother-in-law.

She is the consummate Grandma.  She loves to don her apron and bake cookies with my kids.  She reads to them and plays with them-- but is not afraid to put them in their place, when necessary.

Best of all, she raised one hell of a son!  We all love you Lori. (But I think that I am especially grateful for you!)

Lori and Baby Zoie- 2005

Lori and Baby Tobin- 2007

Lori and Baby Chase- 2009

(Judging from these pictures, I think Lori really likes green button-up shirts!)

Happy Mothers Day!

1 comments:

Ellen said...

She is an awesome woman. I feel privileged to consider her part of our family...as much as she may not want that. We love you, Lori!