Monday, September 24, 2012

Product Endorsement

Before I turned 30, I never worried about beauty products.  Don't misunderstand me, I indulged in makeup and hair treatments plenty-- but I never really paid too much attention to brands and regiments.  The older I get, the more effort and maintenance is required to look (at least semi) attractive.  I don't like it.  I've always considered myself to be low-maintenance.  But I have found a few products that I really love.

Glow, by Hard Candy.

I read a magazine article written by Jennifer Lopez's makeup artist in Allure.  He claims that Jennifer is quite pale and does not have a natural glow about her-- that it is all in the right makeup.  I think J. Lo is so beautiful.  I was encouraged to read that her luminous beauty is, in large part, a result of the right makeup regimen.

I am fortunate to have lived in places that allow me to swim and soak up the sun regularly for 7-8 months out of the year.  I love being tan and haven't had to "fake bake" in a very long time.  But I have found my solution for the winter months.  Glow is a bronzer that enhances a tan and produces a "natural glow".  I love it.  I bought a large bottle at Walmart (classy, I know) months ago and it is still going strong.

Essie Nail Polish


My sister introduced me to Essie.  I love it.  I rarely paint my fingernails because the polish chips too easily.  The only polish I will use on my fingers is Essie.  The colors are so subtle and gorgeous.  I recently bought the color "Master Plan" (see picture above).  Lance calls my nails, "Primer nails"-- but I get a ton of compliments when I wear it.

Philosophy, Falling in Love
I first discovered this scent while shopping in Fresno in 2007.  I have been obsessed with it for five years now.  I don't buy it very often (I am prone to cheap perfume knock-offs and haven't found one for Falling in Love yet).  Lance bought me a bottle of Falling in Love, Summer for our anniversary a few months ago.  Love it.

What I need are some recommendations for 1. skin care (I have never put much effort into my skin at all.  But now that I am over 30, I figure I better start doing something) and 2. mascara  I feel as though I have tried every conceivable mascara out there.  I have made a hobby of it.  But I am still looking for one mascara product that "wows" me.   So... speak up and tell me what your products are!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Falling in Love, Summer? I must have this! As you know, Falling in Love is a favorite fragrance of mine as well. I'm probably going to need to try that Glow stuff too. Thanks for the tips!

I have nothing insightful to share except that I have a friend in her forties with amazingly youthful skin. She told me she has used Neutrogena products for years at the recommendation of a dermatologist.

Danielle Harris said...

I've never been good at spending money on skin stuff but I figured I'm not getting any younger, so I called my sister this last year, who researches EVERYTHING and these are the products she recommended: for a moisturizer, Origins brand "A Perfect World." It is between $30 and $40...can't remember exactly but lasts forever (like around 8 months because you don't need a lot). I've loved it so far and she's used it for years. She also told me about an Orgins under eye cream that helps your eyes look more awake if you have lack of sleep issues or dark circles at all but I haven't bought it yet. Will probably need to when the new baby comes! From Sephora she sent me this stuff called "the POREfessional." It minimizes pores and puts a light layer between your face and your make up and you can add it over make up during the day if you get shiny. Love it so far. From Sephora she also sent me a face cleanser called "FAB First Aid Beauty." It's light, has an antioxidant booster. Love it too. Last, I don't like to spend a lot on mascara. You've probably tried it, but I really like Maybelline "The Falsies" volume express flared. I like it better than any other kind I've tried. Sorry this is too long and I don't claim to be an expert...just a believer in my sister's research! :)

catie said...

I second the maybelline falsies volume express, love it! I've tried lots of facial stuff. Really like the st. Ives green tea scrub for an exfoliator. And the aveda facial lines. good luck! I think your sister will atest to this also, I love my facial clair sonic scrubber.

Heidi Lyn said...

I'm really excited to hear about Porefessional because I just ordered some and need some help in the pore department. I love Voluminous Lashes mascara I think by Loreal, I'm not sure, but it's great stuff and not expensive at all! I have been using Lancome on my face as a serum, but I'm ready to go back to the Olay Regenerist line because it costs soooo much less and my skin looks just as good. I'm excited to go pick up some Glow because Jennifer Lopez always has the most gorgeous skin!

Adriene said...

I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I got fake lashes a couple of months ago and LOVE them. I can go out with no make-up on and still feel somewhat 'done up'. I rarely wear eye liner now, and never mascara. Downside is the price.

Wrights said...

(Btw, that last comment was mine:)