Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Price of Comfort

Mother's Day is Sunday. I have had my eye on a few fairly inexpensive treats-- any one of which would make a perfect Mother's Day gift. For example:

I love this scent: This would be great for backyard tanning sessions:


I would love this in the kitchen for my Ipod:
And anything that involves a pedicure is always a hit:


What I did not imagine I would "receive" for Mother's Day is this:
Our air conditioner stopped working on us around 10 pm on Friday night. Around midnight a technician handed us a disproportionately large bill. But our home was cooling off and we wrote a ridiculously large check with a sigh of relief.

Then Monday evening, it began to feel uncomfortably warm in our (usually 71 degree) home. With dread, I looked at the thermostat and it said 78. Something was wrong. We finally got the same company to come back around 10 pm. They said it was unrelated to the issue just two days prior and told us that it would be another $1100 to fix it. We sent the guy packing-- (but not before paying the guy a giant diagnostic fee for his three minutes of work).

A full day later, we got the guy who had originally installed the unit (just a few years ago) to come fix it for a fraction of the cost of the other company. Nevertheless, it has been a hot and expensive weekend (that sounds way more exciting and exotic than it actually was).

I may sound bitter now, but it is 90 degrees outside and I am typing this from the comfort of my 71 degree home. Happy Mother's Day to me!

P.S.- some of my bitterness may be due to the fact that I have not had a Diet Coke or carbonated beverage of any kind since Saturday (4 days ago!) If this is not impressive to you, then you do not know me very well.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I hate A/C repairs - they're so expensive, yet so necessary. Enjoy your cool house. I am amazed by the no diet coke though!

Carie said...

Such a BUMMER. Last year all within a few months we had to repair our heater and fridge, AND replace a dishwasher. Painful.

Happy Mother's Day anyway!

Heidi Lyn said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Lori said...

I am way passed impressed. I would have been packing up my gang in the middle of the night and heading for a motel. ANYTHING for AC!

Ellen said...

I'm bringing you a Diet Coke STAT! You deserve it.

Sarah said...

$1100??? I got a whole new 3 ton unit (outside and handler) for our tampa house for $2400 last summer. It was a bit of a bummer to lay out that much cash for a house we don't live in, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Natalie said...

Oh no! That's too bad. I hope the comfortable temperature is helping you feel better.