Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not for the Faint of Heart

I read a blog earlier this week in which the author said- regarding motherhood, "This stuff ain't for sissies." I liked that take on it and wholeheartedly agreed. If any of you are skeptical on this issue, let me share with you a recent experience.Lance is running an job in Houston, so I have been playing the part of single mother. The fun began when Saturday evening Chase threw up on me during a baptism. Mind you-- Chase is no longer a baby with a little bit of spit-up. It was a very embarrassing moment, but he seemed to be better by the next day.

Monday evening it all fell apart again when, systematically, Tobin, Zoie, and I all get sick. VERY sick-- of the vomit variety. The nausea was unbelievable. I felt as though I could barely move and yet-- at least once an hour between 9 pm and 7 am-- one or both of the kids would come crying into my room.

"Mom-- I threw up again."

"Help, mom. Its coming out my nose!"

"I lost my throw up bowl and its all over my bed!"

We began the practice of the "throw-up bowl" when Zoie was on the top bunk and couldn't realistically get to the toilet when she was sick. It stuck. This means that each and every time one of the kids got sick, I had to clean up the aforementioned throw-up bowl. The highlight of the night was when Tobin got sick all over the pup-tent we put on his bed. The "sick" then dripped down onto his bedding, face, hair and clothes. It was awesome.

Everyone knows just how miserable it is to be sick. And every parent can agree that it is heartbreaking to watch your young child suffer an illness. Its just not supposed to happen at the same time! Its like an unwritten law!

I spent last night cleaning up, playing nurse, running a fever of my own, and vomiting in between loads of laundry. Lance and the kids are my life and I wouldn't trade this job for anything in the world-- but I gotta tell you, "It ain't for sissies."

Hurry back Lance.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Hurry back Lance? If I were Lance, I'd run the other way! Hope all are on the mend soon.

Wrights said...

That was so funny to read that - Dan leaves on Friday for Africa for 10 days. This sounds so dumb but I'm so paranoid of getting sick while he's gone! Especially the throw-up flu kind. I don't know what I would do with my kids if I really got sick. So I'm washing my hands like crazy and hoping for the best:)

Carie said...

I know well the toils of the single mom while dad is traveling for work. Thankfully we have never experienced the sickness of epidemic proportions as described here.

We have been big fans of the throw up bowl for years.

Lori said...

I remember when Zoie got sick when you were here visiting. She told me she "spilled up". Now that's my favorite term for it. I'm so sorry you were all spilling up at the same time, especially you, Kir. That's awful on your best day!

Tiffany said...

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Eli and I had the stomach flu that week too...so I can feel your pain.