Friday, January 15, 2010

Pet Peeve

I found a brand new rug on Ebay that is perfect for our play room.
Tobin loves cars and trains and the rug enables him to "drive" his various transportation vehicles all around the "carpet town". I totally low-balled the seller and surprisingly won the auction. The rug arrived this morning and I was so happy! It is in perfect condition and, indeed, looks brand new. Tobin already loves it. He and his best friend, Riley have been playing on it all morning.

Problem: When I released the rug from its plastic wrapping, I was overcome with the odious scent of cigarette smoke. I thought that perhaps it was just the smell of the odd plastic wrapping. Just in case-- I doused the rug in Febreeze (almost a whole bottle) and wouldn't let the kids play on it until it dried.

It has been about an hour and I am fairly certain that my entire home now reeks of smoke. I am the queen of air freshners, air sanitizers, scented candles, candle warmers and Scentsy. Even still- my head is pounding and my stomach is churning from the smell of that rug. It is a curse that has come upon this house.

Attention smokers: I think smoking is a disgusting and deadly habit. But whatever-- its none of my business. Please be advised, however, that if you choose to smoke cigarettes- you may never attempt to sell anything you have ever owned. Do not re-sell your home, your car, or any of y0ur earthly posessions. They are tainted forever. This one small rug has overrun almost 2,000 sq feet of clean air in our home.

I am taking this rug to be dry cleaned, but fear the worst: the cute little play rug that looks perfect in the play room has been contaminated beyond repair. If trained professionals cannot clear the rug of its loathsome odor, I will have no choice but to destroy it immediately-- I cannot curse another human with this plagued item.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That stinks! (haha) Charlie got a rug like that for Christmas and he's been enjoying his as well. Here's hoping the smoke scent will leave so Tobin can continue to enjoy his rug. I still remember the time we were cursed with a rental car that had been smoked in. We went through an entire bottle of Febreze and I still got tons of headaches. Yuck.

Wrights said...

The cable guy came today and was here for less than an hour...by the time he left the entire house smelled of smoke and I had the Scentsy going all day.

catie said...

baaa! that is the WORST! you can try the carwash!? they have those clips on the wall that you hang your car rugs on? maybe totally soaping it to death will help...

Ellen said...

I feel your pain. I get sick from second hand smoke. The rug sure is cute, though. I hope it all comes out in the wash. (pun)

Did you do a Google search on how to get rid of smoke? I swear by Google.