Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Operation Santa Claus

My kids love visiting Santa. Last year they saw him three times at Busch Gardens and twice at the mall. This year, I have avoided both places due to large crowds. Zoie reminded me yesterday that she hasn't seen him yet. In my naivete, I thought, "What a fun day! Let's go visit Santa!"

Commence Operation Santa Claus.
Tuesday, December 22nd.

10:15 am: Pack up Snugli carrier, double stroller and three kids
10:32 am: Arrive at mall and get in line to see Santa

11:07 am: Begin to realize that this mission will take up most of my day
11:36 am: Tobin has this compulsive need to touch everything-- including the posterior of the man standing in front of us (three times!)
11:58 am: Still in line. I begin to feel stupid for waiting so long, but feel committed at this point. Chase falls asleep in the Snugli and I am jealous.

12:23 pm: I am now on a first name basis with all adults around me and know their kids' names, ages and in some cases- their birth story (I kid you not!)
12:31 pm: Take some pictures of the kids... we're getting close!

12:43 pm: My kids sit on Santa and Mrs. Claus's lap. They speak for about 20 seconds while I snap a few pictures.

12:44 pm: Operation Santa Claus is a success!

I am amazed at how well-behaved the kids were for the past two hours (aside from the frequent goosing of the strange man in front of us) and am therefore suckered into walking over to the kids' play area-- stopping at every toy store on the way.

We, at last, leave the crowded mall around 2:15 pm. I think this picture of Chase says it all:



So, here is the crowning achievement of our day. Love and cherish this picture. Use it as a screen saver or blow it up to poster-size and frame it. I need to justify my day.

7 comments:

Ellen said...

You are a good mom, Kira. I don't think I could've done that. By the way, it looks like Zoie's black eyes are gone! Yay!

THE POPE PARTY said...

Wow Kira! We we at the mall today to visit Santa also. But after looking at the line I told my children they would have to e-mail Santa this year because mommy is not waiting in line for 3 hours! Next time can I just leave them with you? Ha!

Natalie said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Way to go!

Wendy said...

At least you got a cute picture to remember your all day adventure! (BTW, jealous of wearing flip flops in Dec-it's snowing today)

Lori said...

You need to start writing the book that will be made into a made-for-TV-movie. The post office event would have cured most mothers. But not you!!! What great and funny memories you provide for your kids. Too bad Zoie is the only one old enough to remember--------so far.

Danielle Harris said...

It must be all those years of living in Florida and being used to lines at Disney and Busch Gardens that helped you and your kids wait so patiently! Have you read Olivia Helps With Christmas? Your post reminds me of the Santa watch part. Anyway, super hilarious book and post! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.