Thursday, December 31, 2009

Farewell Old Friend

This week we said goodbye to our beloved pug, George.


In March of 2003, Lance and I drove six hours in a blizzard (while Lance was high on Lortabs due to a broken collarbone) to pick up George from a breeder in Idaho. It was a rough beginning, but everyone who ever met that funny little puppy loved him.

Nearly seven years later, he is such a great and easy dog. Over the years, he has been dragged on campouts, vacations, and one cross-country move. He has been awakened nightly by crying babies, poked, climbed on and dressed up in Hawaiian shirts, Halloween costumes, and Christmas sweaters. We just couldn't ask for a more tolerant dog.Unfortunately, the years have caught up with him and he is suffering from various afflictions (the least of which is an unearthly odor). We know that our family is unable to give him the care and pampering that he deserves in his old age. We are so lucky to have found an organization who specializes in caring for aging pugs. They are giving him the attention that he needs in his advanced years.

We handed him over last Tuesday and they have reported that he is loving his new position as center of attention-- a position he has not enjoyed since we started having kids and took in Bluto in 2005.

Here are some pictures of George through the ages. You will notice that he has put on a few pounds and gained some gray hair over the years (but then again... so have I.)
Good luck George. We love and miss you, buddy.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

George is one of the only dogs that Lisa liked. I think because he was small and wouldn't jump on her. Good luck George and Rasmussens!

Jen said...

Is it odd that I cried while reading this?

Ryder will miss the little ball of mush.

JennyLeighP said...

how sad! hes such a cute little guy

Heidi Lyn said...

I'm crying too Jen . . . I know you had to do it for George, but it's heartbreaking. It will be weird to be there without him, but I'm glad he'll be healthy and happy. I hope you guys are okay with it too.

Ellen said...

George was our first granddog. He had me at first bark. I will always remember my little buddy--the way he loved going on car rides, the way he loved cheese, the way he would run in circles when I got him all riled up from rubbing his tummy,the way he loved to sniff around my office and would come up with all kinds of stuff stuck on his face. Good bye old boy. You will always be in my heart.

The Pope Family said...

Braden is sitting by me as I read this post and just keeps saying, "awe, not George! Poor George. We should have taken George." Braden will be very sad not seeing him at the Rasmussens anymore.

Sarah said...

I know how much you guys loved George. I'm so sorry you guys had to make this decision, but I know that you did the best thing for George. hugs!

brooke said...

how sad...I remember when you got that little guy!!