Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Horror Story


It is a dark day, complete with torrential downpour. A Chevy Tahoe pulls in to the local branch of the post office. A happy (albeit chubby) mom climbs out and proceeds to strap a newborn into her Snugli carrier. She then whisks out the umbrella stroller and straps in the one year-old boy she babysits. All the while, a rambunctious two year-old and four year-old climb out of the now empty SUV.

The gang slowly make their way into the crowded building-- struggling to all stay beneath one umbrella. She gets in line and congratulates herself for making it this far. She eventually achieves the coveted position of front of the line. As she is called to the counter, chaos erupts.

The one year-old manages to elude his strap and is now standing dangerously on the stroller and is screaming. As the mother tries to re-strap him, the baby she is "wearing" cries out in discomfort at her bent over position. The two year-old who has managed to escape the mother's grasp in all the chaos has climbed to the top of a nearby counter and falls dramatically to the floor. The four year-old who was instructed NOT to touch the nearby greeting cards now has a handful of them.

Gasps and murmuring from the very long line that the frustrated mother is now holding up. She smiles and pretends everything is fine and attempts to mail her international package. She has filled out the wrong customs form. In the time it takes to re-fill out the very unnecessary form, three out of the four children are in the midst of full-blown temper tantrums. The mother can feel all eyes on her back.

Just when it seems that things could not possibly get more humiliating, the mother begins to laugh. Hard. It is just too much and too hysterical to do anything but laugh. The antsy crowd of onlookers is sure that she has lost her mind. She very well might have.

In related news-- Mom and Dad, I have mailed your package. The very last one you will be receiving from me. Expect it in 3-5 business days.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Gee Whiz....I don't know what to say, except I wish I could've been there to see that. One time in Houston, I was babysitting 4 of my friend's kids and I had 3 of my own--that made 7 kids under the age of 7. My van ran out of gas at the bank drive-through! We all had to get out of the van and walk across a 4 lane divided highway, holding hands, to get to a gas station; while people behind me in the drive-through stared at me in disbelief.

Wendy said...

Oh, Kira...at least you could laugh about it. I think your mom's story might have you beat-although that's no consolation during the experience.

Jen said...

I am laughing so hard that I am crying. Fantastic story. It's not true is it?

Heidi Lyn said...

I had something really really important to receive but was too afraid to ask you to go to the post office for me . . . Now I know my instinct was right. I'll find someone else.