Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Advice Needed


One of the items on my "Things I Want to Accomplish Before I Die" list is to take beautiful pictures. As I have made abundantly clear previously, I have no nice equipment-- nor do I have any natural artistic talent.

But I am obsessed with pictures. I love looking at them and I love lugging around my old, scuffed up Canon and taking pictures until my children are seeing stars.

I have decided (on a whim, of course) that I would like to learn to take pretty pictures now-- while my kids are young. I think I will regret it if I wait. It is just plain wrong to have such great-looking kids and not be able to take good photos of them.

I have no desire to be a professional photographer-- just to take photos in which my children do not have red eyes. I would also like to be able to capture their personalities in a picture and not be embarrassed to hang the pictures on a wall.

I need a good camera, but I don't know where to begin looking. If you know of a good camera for beginners-- nothing too complicated or fancy, please let me know. And please keep in mind that I am cheap. REALLY, REALLY cheap. (Like-- I have been known to balk at the prices at the Goodwill cheap). But if you give me an idea of the type of camera to look for, I can start scrounging around for a good deal.

I just don't have a clue where to start. I'd appreciate any and all ideas!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Well, for starters, the Nikon on your page looks pretty good....

Natalie said...

I love cameras and researching. If you give me a better idea of what you're looking for I'd be happy to do a little research and give you my top recommendations. For example: what's your price range, what size of camera do you want, what features are important to you, what do you want to be able to do with the camera (snapshots or more pro), etc. Just let me know!

Heidi Lyn said...

I have a camera that can be either automatic or totally up to the photographer and I use a little of both. I wish I had a better lens (the lens meant for portraits and close ups). I have a Nikon, but I think my Canon Rebel was better (pre-digital) . . . I'll send some specs your way in an email.