Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Goodbye Grylls and Grissom

I mentioned in my last post that we gave up cable and our DVR several months ago. I thought that in the effort of full disclosure, I would elaborate on the tragedy.

Lance and I have been quite successful at cutting the extras out of our budget-- eating out, clothes shopping, etc. We both guiltily knew that cable was our one last "luxury". As we got further and further into the Dave Ramsey lessons, we knew we would have to let it go. It was a no-brainer. We had foolishly gotten the Verizon Fios package and were paying a small fortune for it.

We rationalized that we had always been without cable before and in all honesty, we don't watch all that much television (or so we thought). We were sad to part ways with the Discovery Channel (Bear Grylls and Mike Rowe, in particular) and the kids miss their Nick Jr. and Disney Channel.



What we did not anticipate was just how devastating the effects of no more DVR would be. It is horrible to be a slave to the television programming schedule. I had no idea that I would now have to choose between The Office and CSI. Its like Sophie's Choice!! We will never again be able to see Conan O'Brian (now Jimmy Fallon) without staying up until 1 am.


The worst unforeseen consequence of all this has been the television shows we now watch-- as we have no choice. I kids you not, we have actually sat and watched the following shows just because they happened to be on when we felt like watching tv--

1. Coach
2. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
3. Everybody Loves Raymond (I have yet to see an episode where Deborah does not get mad at Raymond-- she's a horrible wife!)
4. Numbers
5. The Unit
6. The Cosby Show
7. CSI:Miami
8. Dancing with the Stars (although Lance will never admit it!)

I don't mean to insult any of these shows-- but they definitely never made our DVR list before. If you happen to have DVR, cherish it... and record CSI for us!

5 comments:

Jen said...

You need to watch LOST and How I Met Your Mother. You NEED to.

Heidi Lyn said...

IGNORE Jennifer. How I met your mother . . . blah! But I feel your pain. I lived for over a year without cable and found myself in the same predicament.

My solution? Rent or netflix tv dvds of your favorite shows and watch them during those "Fresh Prince of Bellair" moments.
Good luck!

Ellen said...

Hey Kira, try living in a different country and not have time to watch anything! And if you DO have time, most of the programming is in German. That's right--I'm talking Alf in German. No sympathy here.

Lori said...

What does Dave say? "Live like nobody else so later you can live like nobody else". I'm really proud of you guys. You're young enough that that will work for you. I'm still trying to figure out why we're following Dave!!

RAD RASMUSSEN'S said...

Cosby show still kicks butt! I watch it almost every day on my lunch break. Sure beats the crap out of anything of comperable style on TV today.