Friday, December 12, 2008

Frugality

I love good deals. I always have. My mom instructed me in the art of cheap shopping from a young age. I grew up perusing the aisles of the Goodwill and Ross.

This week I have discovered some great resources for the budget-conscious folk. These are new to me-- but may not be for some of you.

1. Red Box movie rentals- These are genius. It is literally a box located in stores or parking lots that spits out a movies. I couldn't believe how convenient and easy it was to use. The best part- each movie is only $1 for 24 hours.

We have a Red Box in the Walgreens parking lot by our home. I have never seen anyone else use it. I think of it as my own personal movie friend. It has never been sold out of the movies I want, and I have never had to wait in line.

2. Aldi Food Market- Word on the "Mom Beat" is that this store has been popular in the midwest for years. I heard about it this week and just tried it today. I am in LOVE!!


I frequent the Walmart (read: ghetto, dirty, and crowded) by my house for my groceries because I save so much money. However, by my calculations, I saved over $80 by going to Aldi today.

It does not carry everything-- and sells only its own brand. But everything is SO cheap. I have never been a brand snob (except you, Diet Coke). It does not bother me at all to eat Thin Wheats instead of Wheat Thins or to have Cinnamon Crunchy Toast Squares for breakfast in lieu of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Now, I cannot yet attest to the quality of the food. I may have to print a retraction-- but at these prices, the food would have to contain some kind of radioactive disease to make me stop going to Aldi.

Just thought I would pass some of this on... please feel free to share any money-saving tidbits. I am cheap and proud!

6 comments:

Jen said...

I asked Ian about Aldi since he is from the midwest. He said they are incredibly inexpensive but always in the hood. He was not aware there is an Aldi around here; but he is certain that wherever you found it, you should be packin' heat when you go!

wildthayn said...

All of my favorites too!!! Redbox has free rentals on Mondays. You can get the code at www.iamfrugal.blogspot.com. She has tons of other great deals too!

Natalie said...

I, too, love Redbox. However I always have to wait in line. :( I keep telling myself that I'm going to go to Aldi's but it's a bit of a drive for me and let's face it - I'm lazy.

Heidi Lyn said...

my friend was talking about deals involving CVS on her blog and it sounded pretty interesting. Free stuff, great deals, etc. I have a link to her blog on mine. Hers is called "littlest bird" (or something like that). Enjoy!

But, I did have half a roasted chicken, with garlic mashed potatoes and diet coke for only $4 yesterday at a restaurant. . . .

Ellen said...

Grandma Dickson would be so proud, as am I.

Luisa said...

they have Aldis here in NC but I never saw it in FL. You are right it is really cheap- you kind of have to make your menu after you go instead of before because they dont always have the same stuff but 1.50 for bread is awesome