Monday, August 25, 2008

Sad Eyes

Growing up, I was unable to effectively fake an illness (though it didn't keep me from trying!) I have a tell-- my parents call it my "sad eyes". They could always tell when I was sick because of my sad eyes. I distinctly recall trying to make my eyes look sad in order to skip school. It never worked. "Sad Eyes" cannot be forced.

My kids have both inherited sad eyes. Case in point (Zoie's first cold):



This weekend Zoie had a bladder infection. The infection caused a high fever that she could not shake. I took her to the Urgent Care Clinic on Saturday for antibiotics.

It broke my heart to see my rambunctious, mischievous daughter laying listlessly about. She was uninterested in cartoons, food, drink-- all of her usual favorites! Though Lance and I jokingly say that we love sick Zoie because all she wants to do is lay with us and cuddle.



We had a lazy weekend full of layin around and cuddling. Zoie is regaining her strength today and as much as it broke my heart to see my daughter with sad eyes all weekend, there were a few loud, chaotic moments today where I missed sick Zoie.

Side Note: Zoie continues to be the most considerate sister I have ever seen. At the clinic, they allowed her to pick out a princess sticker to take home. She insisted on getting Tobin a Superman sticker (which he promptly tried to eat!)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor Zo-Zo. My kids get the sad eyes as well. It breaks my heart but I do enjoy the slow down and the sick cuddles :)

Nieldfam said...

Poor Baby! Bladder infections are the WORST:(
There is something nice about a cuddler, even when they are sick.

Natalie said...

I'm sorry Zoie was sick, but I'm glad she's feeling better! While obviously sad, the sad eyes pictures are also really cute.