Thursday, May 1, 2008

Orangutans and the White Pants

As a kid, one of my favorite parts of going to Busch Gardens was being able to watch the Orangutans. I have always felt a special connection with them... (Big, slow and lazy-- could it be because I can relate?)

A few years ago, much to my chagrin, they removed the Orangutan exhibit. Well, today they are back! I took my kids to see them. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my enthusiasm for these hairy beasts far outweighed theirs.



They had a glass square in the floor where you could look directly down onto a napping Orangutan. I was so excited about this. I literally shoved some small children out of the way so I could get a better look (not a proud moment). But it was amazing and I can watch those animals all day.



As I was dressing for our big day at Busch Gardens this morning, I thought, "It will be hot-- I'd better wear light clothing". White capris-- perfect, right? After dressing, I packed a lunch for the kids-- Doritos and chocolate covered granola bars... no problem there.

Now, as a mom I would hope that some kind of warning bells would sound in my head when I combine a one year-old, chocolate, and new white pants. Nope. Nothing. I didn't even bat an eye when I felt Tobin tugging on my legs during lunchtime. It was actually not until I got in the car to go home that I fully noticed what my poor capris had been through. Only Tide can save them now.



(This picture does not do it justice-- I know its hard, but please try to see past the shear enormity of my pants to notice the mess)

There really should be some kind of law against selling white clothing to the mothers of children under the age of 4.

By the way, thanks to Heidi for the awesome skull t-shirts my kids are sporting!


3 comments:

Nieldfam said...

Fond memories about monkeys at the zoo...us to! Could that be the real reason you like to watch them so much? ha ha!! Right now I am laughing so hard that I am basically crying! Great memories, we sure miss you guys!!!!!!

Liz's Blog said...

I always loved going to Busch Gardens as a kid too! Thats so much fun that you got to take your kids...I'm glad they enjoyed it! I'm embarassed to admit but I've done the same thing wearing white with Jacob! He has ruined some of my clothes...oh well. I love all your pics...Your kids are adorable!

LAURA and ELIZA said...

Oh Kira Kira Kira! You know Mommies can't have nice clothes! Eliza is only 10 months old and I have figured that out. However, I still continue to buy nice clothes in hopes that maybe...just maybe, I might be able to keep them nice for an hour or so. P.S. I love Busch Gardens! I need to go there next week.