Sunday, April 6, 2008

Eternal Slumber Party


Okay... the title of this post sounds morbid-- like a bad mystery novel.

Zoie was sick last week. One night she woke up with a high fever and to comfort her, I laid down in her bed for a little while (something I rarely ever do). I would open my eyes and she would be about an inch from my face just staring at me with so much excitement. She kept whispering "secrets" to me. She thought it was the funnest thing in the world.

It reminded me of when I was 9 or 10 and sleepovers were all the rage. I loved sleepovers! At every party, I was always the last person to go to sleep-- which means I got to be the one who pulled pranks on the other girls. I would always look forward to the weekend so I could have a sleepover with my friends.

I remember the first few months I was married, I couldn't believe that I got to "have a sleepover" with my best friend every night. It felt so amazing to be able to lay in bed and talk all night. After seven years of marriage, I hate to admit that I now take that blessing for granted. But no more!

How wonderful that we get to find the person that makes us the happiest in the world and then spend eternity with them! Hence my creepy title, "Eternal Slumber Party." If you are married, when you go to bed tonight, remember how blessed you are to spend every night with your best friend.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Umm... I'm pretty sure slumber parties were still a big deal when we were 17 and 18!

Nieldfam said...

Thanks, it is easily forgotten at our house! It seems every night some little person is in our bed too!
Sorry that sounded creepy too...little people or aka gavin!

LAURA and ELIZA said...

Oh I love this post! Its nice to hear its possible. =)!

Ellen said...

When you get to be my age, slumber in and of itself, is always a party!

Nancy said...

Wow your kids are getting so big! I came across your blog & can't believe we haven't kept in touch with you guys. It'll be nice to see what you guys are up to now. Keep in touch!

Heidi Lyn said...

I have a slumber party with a fuzzy white dog and every morning I wake up with his nose about an inch from mine and his paws on my chest. He knows he's not allowed to lick my face, so he gets as close as possible until I wake up . . . Your slumber parties sound much more fun, especially with Zoie (no offense Lance).