Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Turkey Day this year was a blast. It was very relaxed and untraditional... and I loved it! I have never been a fan of holidays spent with crowds of distant relatives, making small talk with people you only see once a year. Since we had no parental figures around this year, we decided to do it our way.

We kicked off the day with a little exercise. I ran a 5k down at the beach with my friends. The Tampa Bay Turkey Trot has become a Thanksgiving tradition amongst me and my friends. It was my first race of the season and my time was a little slow, but we had fun. I am training for a half- marathon and will post my progress (or lack thereof).

Lance played in the ward Turkey Bowl-- a four hour event this year! He was pronounced Turkey Bowl MVP at his Elders' Quorum meeting today. (I'm so proud). As you can imagine, we have both been a little sore this weekend.

We had my sister Heidi and our good friends, Jared and Brittany Filetti (and kids), over for dinner. The Filettis deep fried the turkey and I will not ever go back to traditional turkey again. Even the leftovers are delicious! We had way too much food and even more pies (six pies for 5 adults!) It was my first time hosting Thanksgiving.

After dinner, we all lay in a food stupor watching a Dirty Jobs marathon. If you haven't seen the show, its hilarious! Nothing compliments a full stomach like watching men clean out sewage facilities.

We missed our families on Thanksgiving, but it was an awesome day. We have spent the remainder of the weekend decorating for Christmas. It doesn't get any better than this!

3 comments:

Carie said...

Sounds so fun! I have never had deep fried turkey. (You would think I'd have the chance living in hick-ish Missouri.) I love the idea of a morning run . . . but it was freezing here Thanksgiving morn.

Anonymous said...

hey Kira! do you run with the nike plus? if so let me know maybe running against you will get me motivated again!
hope you are all doing well!

Nieldfam said...

Too bad we live so far away, I could use a little bit of your motivation. We have deep fried our turkey too before. It is super yummy!