Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2nd

I have a theory about the moment that babies are born: Their initial reactions, as they come into the world, are very indicative of their inherent personalities.

Zoie had the loudest scream I have ever heard from baby. She never had that cute little "baby cry". She was NOT happy to have been forced into the world against her will (she refused to come so they performed an emergency c-section). She remains, to this day, a bit of a diva-- or at least, very vocal about her emotions.

Chase was born angry... and cuddly...simultaneously. Weird kid is still angry and cuddly.

But it was the day when Tobin was born that solidified this theory. Tobin was my second c-section. For some reason it was far worse than the first and I was experiencing the worst nausea I could imagine. The moment that Tobin was born was so quiet that I was alarmed. Then I heard a wonderful little whimper that built into a tiny cry. A few moments later, they brought Tobin-- all wrapped up-- to me while I was still on the operating table. The moment I held him, my first thought was, "he is so big and heavy!" (only 8 lbs., 6 oz.-- but he felt much bigger). He looked right at me and stopped crying instantly. He snuggled right into my arms and was silent.


That moment remains one of the most memorable and sweetest moments of my life. (It was immediately followed by a terrible recovery and two months of colic). But four years later, Tobin is still a sweet, happy, and mellow kid who loves to be hugged and held.





Happy Birthday Buddy Boy.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Happy Birthday Tobin!!

Molly said...

err I hate when it does that...but happy birthday Tobin from Chris and I :)

Natalie said...

That is a really sweet memory. Happy Birthday Tobin!

Ellen said...

Tobin is such a little sweetheart; truly one of my favorite little pals.

Heidi Lyn said...

Tonight, he saw me cuddling Chase and throwing Chase up in the air and he walked up to me as if it were no big deal to throw a giant four year old up! I threw him up and I cuddled him like a baby. . . he really is the sweetest, snuggliest kid ever. I love him. I am also wide awake in bed with severe back pain . . . I blame Tobin.

Lori said...

So gald you had a happy birthday! It was so fun talking to you this morning. You sound so much bigger!! Grandpa and I love you SO MUCH!!!