Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Joys of Self-Deprecation

From time to time, I have this experience:

I say or do something to make fun of myself and then laugh-- cause I think I am hilarious.

The recipient of my wit and humor gives me a blank stare or says something "reassuring" which does nothing but reassure me that they don't get my joke.

The best part of making mistakes and humiliating oneself is sharing the experience with others and laughing so hard that your stomach hurts.

More and more I am coming across people who take themselves so seriously. It has become one of my pet peeves-- people who can't laugh at themselves. How boring.

I came across this quote on a friend's blog and I just love it. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Good quote! And who are these dreadful people that you keep coming across who take themselves so seriously? I'll be sure to steer clear of them.

Heidi Lyn said...

No, Kira . . . you really ARE pretty and your butt doesn't look huge . . . stop talking like that.

Natalie said...

That is a good one. And a nice reminder. Thanks. :)

Ellen said...

I, for one, believe in the serious business of life. You are not my daughter anymore. (Let's see if anyone takes that seriously.)