Monday, June 1, 2009

Utah 2009: The Great Outdoors

One of my favorite days of our trip was the morning we took the kids for a drive up American Fork Canyon. (Zoie was terrified when we told her that we were driving our car up a mountain).

The drive was absolutely gorgeous-- and I am not a mountain-lover by nature. But the views were breathtaking.We pushed our little rental car as high as it would go. We stopped at a lake near the top of a mountain. The kids loved it and kept asking if we could go camping there.One of my favorite things about my 7 years in Utah was the ability to drive for 5-10 minutes into the canyon and just leave the world behind. Both Lance and I are a little saddened that we don't have the opportunity to do this regularly with our kids.We also spent just about every day playing in Grandma's backyard. The kids were fascinated by Grandpa's horses and the barn.There is just something about spending time outside as a family. It made me so happy.

I keep reminding myself that spending time outside in Utah during October- March would bring me a whole new set of feelings (anger, hypothermia, resentment, etc...).

4 comments:

Jen said...

Okay, normally I turn my nose up at any place that does not involve powder white sand and salt air, but those pictures were gorgeous. I will concede that Utah is a nice place to visit. I said VISIT.

Heidi Lyn said...

So cute! I agree with Zoie's terror at driving a car up a mountain, but Utah in the late Spring and Summer is surprisingly beautiful. I'm super jealous that the kids have now ridden a horse and their Aunt Heidi hasn't.

Heidi Lyn said...

I have no idea if "ridden" is correct. I can no longer speak the english language. . . .just ask mom. She mocks me all the time. I am speaking fluently "english as a second language".

Ellen said...

To je pravda, Heidi!! Yes, I see those beautiful pictures and I think, why not Utah? Then I remember my allergies....Proc zivot je tak zli?