Sunday, May 10, 2009

Starting off Motherhood with a Bang

I have healthy pregnancies and have very little reason to complain. But having said that.... I will commence with the whining.

The same thought has been going through my head for months now, "The words 'pregnancy' and 'cute' are not synonymous." At least not for me.

It is more than just the physical changes-- bloating, swelling, acne, stretch marks, etc. It is also the heartburn and sciatic nerve pain that plagues pregnant women for the last 4 months of pregnancy. It is in the way that my eyes well up with tears at the slightest bit of happiness, anger, sadness, nostalgia, hunger, and so forth.

So this is my thought on Mother's Day-- Heavenly Father, in his infinite wisdom, prepares women for the hard work, discomfort, and sacrifice that accompanies Motherhood by having us endure the "joy" of pregnancy.

As much as I may whine and complain about the rigors of pregnancy, I think about these minor inconveniences and would go through them 100-fold in order to have my children. For, as Heavenly Father prepares us for the difficulties of Motherhood, I don't know that it is even possible to prepare one for the indescribable, eternal joy of parenthood.

Lance and the kids have spoiled me rotten today with meals, desserts, a clean house, extra sleep, flowers, Caffeine-free Diet Coke and lots of attention. And I will end this post before I begin to weep (once again) with gratitude for this family of mine.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

That's very sweet and true! You are a beautiful mother.

Heidi Lyn said...

Happy Be-lated Mothers Day Kira! You are an amazing mom.