Sunday, September 14, 2008

I am not what you would call an organized, Type-A personality.

Clutter and mess, while out in the open and visible, drives me crazy. I cannot function in a messy house.

The loophole I have discovered is that if I cannot see the clutter, it does not bother me. Out of sight, out of mind. From my mom I inherited the concept of a junk drawer. I have always had junk drawers. If ever I don't know where something is, I can always find it in one of my trusty junk drawers.

The other night a friend said, "If there is not a specific place for something in my house, it goes in the trash." I am sure most of you are thinking, "Of course... obviously." I, on the other hand, was completely aghast. I would LOVE to be that organized.

I have a desk area with no built in drawers. I have a few file cabinets. The desk area is a magnet for piles of semi-important papers-- the kind you can't throw out and the kind you don't necessarily want to file away with your completely important papers.

I have seen cute, practical ideas for organization in magazines, but don't know where to start. What I need is some help. Where do you keep your bills, office supplies, computer software, various chords, etc?

Please share your ideas with me and help me to get organized.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We had a file that we labeled everything we could as far as phone bill, pay check stubs, utilities, car payment, car insurance, health insurance, and every other thing. we throw the envelopes away and file it all away. By the way we have to give you back the toys you let us borrow.

Jen said...

Can we make a deal? I am dying for someone to organize my pantry and have no motivation to do this. If you help me with my pantry, I will help you with your desk area. Desk areas are a specialty of mine.

Ellen said...

I've got a GREAT idea! Start a junk drawer!! Works for me!!

Natalie said...

Well, I will definitely be staying tuned in hopes of some good advice... It seems you and I have a very similar mentality towards clutter. I love your term "semi-important papers" - that's perfect! We have a large filing cabinet that most stuff goes in (probably too many semi stuff too) and the rest is mostly in piles. I have piles all over. I tuck them in drawers too but I've gotta figure something out!