Friday, January 25, 2008

Carrying the Banner

(I do realize that by publishing this post, I am opening myself up to outright mockery)


I checked out Newsies from the library yesterday. I have no idea why I do not own this fantastic piece of cinematic history. In 8th grade or so, I watched Newsies every day. Jen, Jamie and I knew it by heart-- every word, every dance move, each and every background character.

Sometimes when you watch one of your favorite childhood movies, you realize how silly and outdated and cheesy it is (The Cutting Edge and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun-- which, lets face it, I still love). But not Newsies! It is still clever and powerful and I still have a crush on Jack Kelly and Spot Conlin.

As I watched, I actually teared up a little at how much I absolutely love this movie. I am sure much of it is nostalgia- I had to call my two best friends and reminisce on our "Newsies Days".

If you haven't seen it, crawl out from beneath the rock you have been hiding under. If you are like me and have allowed Newsies to be relegated to a distant memory, swallow your pride and rent or buy it! You will not be disappointed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously! How did this movie not win awards?

Jen

Carie said...

I have not seen that movie in years! I believe at one point Darci had it memorized.

I'm tell you what ANY movie with Christian Bale is worth a look.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's okay. At one point in time I wanted to stage Newsies, but I couldn't figure out where I could get a jillion little boys with knickers. Mom